; charset=UTF-8" /> Common Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries | SSOR KC

Common auto injuries that are treatable by physical therapy

motor vehicle accident injuries

Motor vehicle accidents are sadly more common in the world than most of us would like. Many people involved in a motor accident are lucky to walk away without much more harm than a few scrapes or bruises. Others suffer from more severe types of injuries.

Many automobile accident injuries can be treated by a licensed physical therapist. Below, we’ve listed some of the most common motor vehicle injuries that physical therapists treat. Keep in mind that this list is not exclusive and that we can treat much more. Contact Specialists in Sports and Orthopedic Rehabilitation to talk with one of our team members about your injury and how physical therapy can help you recover.

Common motor vehicle accident injuries treated by physical therapists

  1. Whiplash — Whiplash is an injury that affects your neck when your head suddenly jerks in one direction due to impact from the accident. The sudden jerking motion can cause the muscles and tendons in your neck to stretch or tear. This is painful and can limit your motion while your neck is recovering.

  2. Concussion — Many people confuse concussions with an injury related to a direct blow to the head. While a direct blow to the head can lead to a concussion, you can also get a concussion if your head is not impacted at all. A concussion occurs when your brain slams against the inside of your skull. Even if you don’t hit your head on anything in a motor vehicle accident, you can still have a concussion due to the turbulence of the accident.

  3. Fractures — A direct impact in an automobile accident can cause one or more of your bones to fracture. Different types of fractures require different treatments. Parietal fractures may require little more than a cast and some rest. Some complete fractures may require surgery and physical therapy.

  4. Strains and sprains — An automobile accident can cause damage to many of your ligaments, tendons and muscles depending on the severity of the accident. Stretched and torn muscles are usually treatable by physical therapy, but extreme cases may require surgery.

Treating a motor vehicle accident with physical therapy

If you’ve recently been injured in an automobile accident, you should talk to a physical therapist at Specialists in Sports and Orthopedic Rehabilitation (SSOR) about treatment. Physical therapists can help you reduce the pain caused by your injury and improve your ability to recover well. Contact SSOR today if you would like to schedule an appointment or ask us any questions about treatment.